Bumrise - Video game about the Homeless

Hamburg, Hamburg 1 comment

I am complaining!

Yesterday morning, as I always do, I walked into my son's room to kiss him goodbye before I go to work, and wish him luck in school. Like most mornings he was on his computer, but an image of a decrepit old man on his computer screen caught my eye. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was playing ''Bumrise.'' He went to explain that you start off as a ''homeless ***'' and you are supposed to get in fights, beg for money, and drink beer to get more points! My son said, ''It's fun.'' I asked him where he got this game and he said it was online for free. I immediately turned off the computer and asked him to go to school.

I have never been so disappointed in my life. Once at work I decided to look at the game for myself, and my son was right. This game is based on being a homeless person on the streets of New York and you are supposed to fight, join gangs, beg and do a number of other horrible things to get ahead. There is even an indication of how DRUNK you are! This is absolutely the worst thing I have ever come across. Normally I am pretty relaxed, my kid plays plenty of computer games where he has to shoot and kill aliens, or is a ninja, or any number of other things that are clearly fictional, and he understands that. But to play a game based off of a real social problem is absolutely grotesque. How can we teach our kids to be morally and socially conscious and at the same time have a game making fun of the very problems we are trying to prevent?

Needless to say I had a long discussion with my son, who is only 10, about why this game is wrong and should not be played. I have told him he is not allowed to play this game as I firmly beleive it may have serious social repercussions such as the desensitization towards homelessness.

I looked ut up online and apparently other countries are having the same concerns as I do. Some French and German politicians tried to get the game banned with no success. Perhaps we as the biggest nation in the world can succeed in getting this atrocity banned?

I ask you, as a parent, please do what you can to BAN this game from being played. A game like this can only damage the fragile and easily influenced minds of our youth.

Please look for yourself and then put put yourself in a parent's shoes. (Www.bumrise.com)

Sincerely

Martin Rankins

Review about: Video Game.

Comments

First off the US is NOT the biggest nation on the planet. Russia takes up more land mass as dies Australlia.

In terms of population China and India hold larger polulations.

It's a freakin game! Thats it nothing more. If you are so closed minded then please enjoy your sheltered little life.

and what is a 10 year old doing on a computer in the morning before school anyway?